EstimatorResponsible for providing accurate and timely bid proposals and ensuring bids provide complete and accurate pricing information. The estimator will also be expected to follow up on all bid submissions, provide appropriate communication on accepted projects, research and develop potential bid projects.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS:
- Research potential projects through construction sources.
- Identify those projects that meet the Joseph A. Interiors marketing and production goals as potential bid prospects and gather as much information as possible on the projects.
- Continually request and follow up potential project information from regular customers and top clients; gather more referrals based on periodic contact.
- Work at building relationships with those individuals and customers that are identified in the marketing goals as customers to target for future work.
- Gather bid materials such as complete bid list, plans and specifications within appropriate time frames.
COMPLETION OF PROJECT PROPOSALS:
- Analyze project specifications to determine type of pricing to be used and complete scope of the project utilizing estimating database effectively for all project proposals to ensure standards in pricing and future project costing.
- Apply appropriate pricing per the type of bid, using pricing standards set by the company; calculate appropriate labor hours and materials to be used, utilizing past project history and experiences.
- Apply all appropriate additional pricing information such as engineering time, delivery costs, taxes, etc.
- Include alternatives to specifications where they may be advantageous to the customer or to Joseph A. Interiors or both.
- Coordinate outsourced items and special orders with purchasing, and incorporate vendor pricing into bid.
- Apply company defined parameters on multipliers for mark up of bids, with multipliers to be determined by a number of factors such as current economic situation, project type and scope, workload needs, etc.
- Work with management on project multipliers where project may not be within the standard scope.
- Complete the bid package as specified by the customer and ensure that package is sent within bid deadlines.
- Attend any scope meetings necessary as part of the bid process, representing Joseph A. Interiors as the potential project partner.
PROPOSAL FOLLOW UP:
- Regularly track all bid submissions and continually question customers on status of awards. Proactively “sell” Joseph A. Interiors as part of follow up and scope process.
- Gather as much competitive intelligence as possible on all bids, whether won or lost, including names and amounts of successful bidders as well as names and amounts of those who were unsuccessful against Joseph A. Interiors.
AWARD OF PROJECT AND PROJECT CONTRIBUTIONS:
- Upon award of projects, share all project information with assigned project leader, ensuring that cost breakdown and vendor information is forwarded appropriately to the production team; communicate specific bid parameters and accepted alternates; make suggestions and provide value engineering ideas where appropriate.
- Assist Project Managers in communicating the project completely and with all necessary information to get the project started quickly and efficiently.
- Assist Project Managers with change order pricing and credits to ensure that all appropriate standards of pricing are correctly applied.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure all estimating workload is covered and backlogs are handled. Contribute to the team with ideas and input on projects; potential opportunities; customer issues, etc.
- Continually update project and pricing library to stay current with production labor history and material pricing; share information, such as from project reviews, with other team members.
- Contribute to ongoing software integration and improvement efforts, sharing information where appropriate.
- Work effectively and efficiently as part of the estimating and project team, participate in project and other company meetings as required, and follow all company policies and procedures as documented.
- Participate in company training programs as required. Keep current in industry and field by reading published information and attending authorized external conferences and/or seminars.
- Perform any special assignments or projects as requested by members of management.
WORK RELATIONSHIPS AND SCOPE:
- Works closely with all other team members, departments, project coordinators, custom wood builders, and various other production team members, and members of management. Works to increase efficiency and profit through accountability (internal and external); taking ownership; good communication; quality; flexibility; customer focus (internal and external); and building positive relationships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read detailed blueprints, construction plans (architectural drawings), documents, and specifications and comprehend what needs to be done. Must be familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures of construction and conceptual estimating, and have good knowledge of work performed by all construction trades.
- Minimum of five years of field construction, wood products and/or wood products manufacturing experience and/or trade school certificate/degree in construction or estimating related field.
- Proficient in the use of computers and associated computer software including Microsoft Office programs. Willingness to learn new programs and familiarity with estimating programs is an asset
- Strong math skills and the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a fast paced team environment.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to bring imagination and creativity to challenging situations.
- Communication and organizational skills required, including the ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work effectively; work effectively and efficiently under pressure and time deadlines; multi-task and be able to frequently jump from one assignment to another; analyze problems (not just symptoms); propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry-out decisions made, and follow up with feedback where appropriate.
Contact for more info and to apply.